Prosthetics and Practitioners
Take your time exploring your device options to match your desired activity level and finding a practitioner who best suits your needs and goals for mobility.
- Quite often the hospital has teamed with an individual practitioner. Don’t take the first one you talk to (unless they turn out to be the best option).
- Outside sources are available – make sure you check them out.
- Find someone you’re comfortable with who believes in your recovery.
- Don’t let them off the hook.
- Your goal is to walk comfortably on prosthetics. If they can’t get you there, find someone who can.
- Look for a prosthetist who is certified by abcop.org (The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics).